Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables

If Mexican is my favorite food type, Thai would be second. After living in Japan, I know that many of the asian cultures share foods. While there are Thai curries, there are also Japanese curries, Indian curries, etc. Almost every Thai restaurant will have fresh spring rolls, similar to the Vietnamese versions, and probably some wok fried dishes.

But I love the thai flavors and styles the best. Coconut milk, pairings of savory and sweet, and the spicy 1-2 punch they give to their dishes. I eat it up.

When I saw this easy recipe for Thai-Style Tofu and Veggies, I had to make it. Smelled so good while cooking, and when I added the coconut milk, I could barely wait to taste it!



Un-forrr-tunately, it smelled better than it really tasted. It was good, I had no problem finishing my dish. But it wasn't wow-ing, and could be described as a little bland. I had higher expectations. But, if you're looking for a super easy, coconut milk, thai dish, this could fit the bill. Good for weeknight fast dinners. Just not if you're having company.

Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables
from Food & Wine

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 medium onion, thinly sliced lengthwise

1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger

1 garlic clove, very thinly sliced (add an extra garlic clove)

1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced crosswise with seeds

1 teaspoon turmeric

4 large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced (I didn't use)

2 cups small broccoli florets

1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise

3 canned plum tomatoes, chopped

1 1/4 cups light unsweetened coconut milk

1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves

Lime wedges, for serving



In a large skillet or wok, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion along with the ginger, garlic and jalapeƱo and stir-fry over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Add the turmeric, then add the shiitake mushrooms, broccoli and carrot and stir-fry for 3 minutes.


Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, tofu, water and soy sauce to the skillet and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are al dente, about 4 minutes. Stir the chopped basil into the vegetables, transfer to plates and serve immediately with lime wedges.


Guten appetit!


1 comment:

Mannie of MannieMandible said...

Oh YUM.. I can't wait to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing!

♥Mannie