Friday, March 20, 2009

Lemongrass Tofu

Unfortunately, I'm a creature of habit and ease. I like tofu plain, so it has to be a craving or compelling recipe to put effort into changing it. But every time I do, I remind myself to branch out more often. Tofu can taste so many different ways, and is so versatile in recipes. When I taste it with a new marinade or in a new recipe, I fall in love with it all over again.

This was the first recipe I used from the White on Rice Couple's food blog. Goodness me, it was good! No, not good. Great!

I used to expect to have a couple tofu slices left over for lunch the next day, but Tim and I consume the entire batch every time. This is a regular rotation recipe, and guess what... it's a super easy recipe. So my 'ease' of making tofu has not been disturbed.

For so little effort, you are rewarded BIG with this recipe. Enjoy!

Note: The White on Rice Couple recommends using this tofu in salads, sandwiches or fresh springrolls. Any of those would be delicious. We usually eat and savor ours plain, over rice. Scrumptious. I love that this recipe can be used in so many ways though, and am going to try it in a salad soon.


Lemongrass Tofu
adapted slightly from White on Rice Couple

1 package of firm tofu
1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
5 table spoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1-2 stalks of fresh lemongrass. When chopped should be about 1/4 cup.


Drain Tofu and blot dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Slice into about 1/4 ” pieces.

Wash lemongrass and chop bulbs and remaining of stalk that is tender. Place chopped lemongrass in mortar & pestle and continue to crush pieces till they are small and pulverized. Add 2 cloves of garlic in mortar and crush garlic together with lemongrass.

In large plastic freezer bag, combine crushed lemongrass , garlic, vegetable oil, soy sauce, salt, pepper and sesame oil. Mix the marinade well, then add slices of tofu in bag. Lay tofu slices in gently on top of each other so that they don’t break. Make sure all marinate coats each slice of tofu.

Let marinade for at least 1 hour or until all tofu slices soak up the marinade.

Heat up frying pan. Do not add oil to the pan because the tofu is well oiled. Fry slices of tofu until both sides are golden brown with a nice firm crust. Remove from pan and blot excess oil on paper towel.

More marinated tofu to try:
- Mandarin Thai Tofu Satay, from Fun and Food Blog
- Sesame Crusted Baked Tofu, from Fuss Free Flavours
- Grilled Marinated Tofu Wraps, from Fun and Food Blog

Guten appetit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooo...I'm also a tofu fan! I made a stir fry tonight and pan fried some tofu with hoisin sauce to throw over it. I do wish I could get fresh lemongrass locally here in redneckville! :)