Friday, February 27, 2009

Sweet Potato Patties

I may have mentioned this in the past. But I'm a creature of habit. I have a typical routine in the mornings, which I like. When Tim and I go to town and eat out, there are literally 3 restaurants we always go to. I can branch out on occasion, but when I know what I like, I generally stick with it.

As such with sweet potatoes. When I make them, my go to recipes are the Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes or Sweet Potato Fries. I love them, and when I get sweet potatoes into my hot hands, I decide which of those two recipes I'm in the mood for and go with it.

While browsing and clicking through some food blogs one day (who am I kidding? I do that everyday! It's become a visual addiction), I spotted these sweet potato patties. Interesting. They would serve up as a main dish, instead of the side dish I usually use my sweet potatoes for, AND it would take advantage of the sweet chili sauce I just bought for another recipe. Well, those are good enough reasons for me to give it a go.

They turned out just as expected, delicious. I like the mix of rice and veggies with the potato, as plain potato patties can seem like eating mush. These were firm, and held up well. Gave a nice sweet flavor, but had some spice to them with the cumin. And we really liked the addition of the sweet chili sauce.

While the patties don't trump my other two favorite sweet potato recipes, it's definitely a solid option when I want to branch out or have a few leftovers (cup of rice, frozen peas, etc) to use up.


Sweet Potato Patties
from Exclusively Food

1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup cooked rice
1 large sweet potato (approx. 1 cup) peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen mixed corn kernels and baby peas
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon oil, for frying
Sweet chili sauce, to serve


If you want to make your own breadcrumbs, place day-old bread in a food processor and process to make fine crumbs.

Boil, steam or microwave sweet potato until tender.

In a large bowl, roughly mash the sweet potato with a fork. Add the breadcrumbs, rice, onion, peas/corn, parmesan, cumin, garlic, egg, parsley, salt and pepper and stir until just combined.

Form the mixture into 8 patties.

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for approximately 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.

Serve patties hot, with sweet chili sauce. Cooked patties can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in the oven or microwave.

More sweet potato recipes from other food bloggers:
- Sweet Potato and Leek Latkes, from Gluten-Free Bay
- Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes, from Kalyn's Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Rolls, from Pinch My Salt

Guten appetit!

No comments: