Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summertime dessert: Strawberry Shortcake

While my cousin Skye was visiting us a couple weeks ago, I made a yummy summertime favorite... strawberry shortcake. I couldn't help it, it's my go-to summertime dessert and I looooovvvveeee it. If you actually knew what I made on a regular basis during the summer, it might go something like this: asian noodle salad (recipe coming soon!), three bean tacos, strawberry shortcake, blueberry pancakes, simple salad, strawberry shortcake, hummus, twice baked potatoes (recipe coming soon!), strawberry shortcake, and on...

At the time I made these, it was fourth of July weekend. However, the fourth passed without much hoorah over here - funny how the German's don't celebrate our independence day. But, add some blueberries around the plate for garnish, or mix with your strawberries, and you'd have quite the festive dessert.

The thing I love most about this strawberry shortcake recipe (And what makes it the best on the planet! Do I exaggerate, no), is that it uses shortcake/biscuits, not cake. I grew up eating my moms bisquick biscuits for shortcake, and it's so darn good. I really can't imagine serving a strawberry shortcake with angel food cake, or pound cake. It's just not right. However, I know others were brought up with a different shortcake. And let's face it, we really do become our mothers. So if you typically eat cake, I understand.

As we scoot into August though, I urge you not to let the summer slip by without making a delicious strawberry shortcake with sweet, fluffy biscuits at least once.

Pic courtesy of the foodchannel. Mine were lost in the hard drive crash, but this looks strikingly similar (although I add an extra layer of whip cream and strawberries on top, can never have too many!).

Mom's Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberries:
1/2 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar

Half pound of strawberries is usually enough for 4 people/shortcake desserts.

Wash, and remove stems. Slice lengthwise, 3-4 times per berry, based on size. Put cut strawberries in a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Cover and put in fridge until ready to serve.

Shortcake:
2 1/3 cups Bisquick mix *
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Whip cream - home made or canned works best. Cool whip is a little too powerful.

Preheat oven to 425.

Stir mix, milk, sugar & butter until soft dough forms. Don't knead it very much - just fold gently until it's mixed. The less it's handled, the better (like pie crust).

Place onto a clean, lightly floured work surface and roll 1/2 inch thick & cut with cutter - you can use any kind of cutter you like (round, triangle, flower), but it should be at least 2 inches wide. Honestly, I use a drinking glass as I do not own any cookie cutters.

Place in cake pan (a pie plate works great) to bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Assembly:

Cut bisquit in half, and layer with a dollop (or two) of whip cream and then a scoop of sugared strawberries. Repeat with top layer, and serve.

* If you'd like a biscuit recipe that does not involve bisquick, check out the foodchannel's recipe.

Guten appetit!

2 comments:

Skye said...

also helps when you have fresh picked local strawberries =p

Laura said...

So true! Amen.