Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sesame Crusted Tofu

Last week was sweet, and now we're on to savory!

My food cravings/interests seem to be (slowly) changing back into my old self, pre-pregnancy. The sweet tooth is dropping off (although it's still more than I ever used to have), and my protein and veggie interests are up! Nevermind that Tim and I had ice cream for dinner the other night. Yikes!

I've been making tofu fairly regularly again, and I have to say that it's quite different from the brand I used to buy in Germany. Taste is the same, but it's much, much more watery. I've had to break down and start pressing the water out of the tofu before marinating or cooking with it. And frankly, I am a bit annoyed with the extra work. Give me easy food to prepare, or give me frozen pizza.

Does anyone know of a good tofu brand that isn't too watery out of the package? I usually buy and cook with extra firm. Silken is usually always more watery.



This recipe was a nice change-up from our 'usual' (lemongrass tofu). It's hard not to make the lemongrass tofu, it's soooo good. But, change is also good. My only complaint with this recipe is that the sesame seeds do not stay on the tofu very well. Created a bit of a mess, and presentation was hard to make *extra* pretty. Otherwise, a very tasty (and easy) weeknight supper. Served over a salad with a side of rice, yum. Oh, and the tahini dressing was just 'ok'. If you want to have a dressing for the tofu and salad, I recommend looking for different recipe, I bet there are tons. Maybe one with more of a kick (through garlic, chilis, etc).

Sesame Crusted Baked Tofu (serves 2)
from Fuss Free Flavors

1 block tofu
Juice one lemon
Same quantity of soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
2tbs sesame seeds
Salad to serve



Press the tofu for about 20mins by wrapping it in a clean tea towel under a chopping board with a couple of cans of beans on top (I use my fruit bowl), you will be amazed at how much water comes out. Slice the tofu into thinish slices (about 1cm) and then cut each slice diagonally to get 2 triangles.

Place in a container and pour the marinade over, leave for at least 20 mins, turning over half way through if the marinade does not completely cover the tofu.

When marinated roll each piece of tofu in the sesame seeds and place onto a greased baking tray (I use a silicone mat on a tray which does not need greasing). Bake for 20 to 30 mins at GM5/375F/190C until the edges are browned turning half way through cooking.

Serve on a bed of salad – I used baby spinach leaves with baby plum tomatoes and pepperdew peppers and garnished with chives, from my window box, and tahini dressing.

Guten appetit!

No comments: