Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tangy Black Bean and Corn Salad - Dud!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

While I can't say that Tim and I celebrate Cinco de Mayo very often (or ever, unless a friend is throwing a party), I always think about it. Probably has to do with my love... obsession... desires... for mexican food. If I could have just one food for the rest of my life, it would definitely be something Mexican. A veggie burrito, fish tacos or perhaps enchiladas. It would be a tough choice to choose the specific dish, but it would be Mexican.

A party is definitely not happening this year, but maybe next year, when we're back in the states and resettled. A girl can dream - margaritas, guacamole and enchiladas, anyone?? Mmm.

As for today's recipe, I hope you've liked the last couple Mexican inspired dishes I've offered, cause this one was a dud. Sorry, they do come up on occasion. I whole heartedly can not recommend this recipe or dish. Sad, since it had such potential. And perhaps if I was more inspired, I could play with it to make it better. But when there are so many other yummy recipes out there, why fiddle with mediocrity?

Looks good, right?

The basics were good, but the dressing was very bland. All you taste is the olive oil. If you want to give this recipe a go, perhaps double, or triple, the spices. Or make the salad, and use a different dressing.

I made this salad as the recipe states, but added lettuce. I wanted it a bit more 'salady'.

Tangy Black Bean and Corn Salad
from VegCooking

2 15.5-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
6 green onions, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper


In a salad bowl, combine the beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro, if desired.

Place the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper into a small jar. Cover with a lid and shake to mix thoroughly. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad ingredients and stir gently to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later, stirring again before serving.


As opposed to this salad, I would much prefer a delicious bowl of guacamole and plenty of corn chips for dipping.

Guten appetit!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I've run into this problem with some of the dressing recipes on the web and I think I've discovered the solution...white wine vinegar. A little bit added to olive-oil heavy dressing adds a bit of tang. That, and cumin. There was never a salad dressing I couldn't save with a teaspoon of cumin.