Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Butternut Squash and Edamame Pasta

I'm posting this recipe extremely tardy (it's from November!), because honestly, it didn't turn out that great. This belle didn't quite make it to her ball. Frankly, it was bland.

Because I can't recommend it, I also have to tag it as a 'disaster'. I don't think it was terrible, but I wouldn't make it again. Maybe it strikes your fancy though, and you decide to try it out. If so, let us know what you think. Could have just been me and my taste preferences.

I liked the idea of this recipe for two reasons, I love edamame and I love butternut squash. During this time of year, I have hankerings for squash. They call out to me at the market, I swear.

I had actually seen this recipe before, but in it's original version, using lima beans instead of edamame. When I saw this twist on the recipe, I jumped at the chance to make it. Not all recipes can be 'winners' though, so it's ok that it wasn't a favorite of ours. Try everything (or most things!) once. It's a good motto to live by.


Taste was just OK, but it definitely looked good!


Butternut Squash and Edamame Pasta
from A Good Appetite

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 t dried
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2 inch pieces. (about a 2 lb squash)
1 10-ounche package frozen soybeans (shelled), thawed. (or use baby lima beans)
2 cups vegetable broth
10 ounces penne pasta (3 cups)
1/4 cup grated parmesan


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add onion & saute under tender and golden, about 10 minutes.

Add garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper & stir 1 minute. Add squash & beans & saute 3 minutes.

Add broth & bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes, or until the squash is mostly soft. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain & return to pot. Add squash mixture to pasta. Toss to blend, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to moisten if necessary (our was overly soupy and I had to drain most of the broth). Season with salt & pepper.

Transfer to bowl & sprinkle with cheese.

Other Butternut Squash pasta recipes I'd like to try:
- Fettucini with Butternut Squash, Sage and Brown Butter, from Apartment Therapy
- Butternut Squash and Sage Ravioli, from La Tartine Gourmande
- Baked Pasta with Butternut Squash and Ricotta, from Urban Drivel

Guten appetit!

1 comment:

Skye said...

wow looks good. interesting ingredients. i was thinking it would be fun to do a chilton family cook book.