Friday, April 17, 2009

Breakfast Egg Sandwich with Avocado and Chipotle Mayo

I'm in love with Susan, aka Food Blogga. Have you ever seen or read her blog? If not, please do.

Not only is Susan inventive with her own food creations, her parents are italian, and she shares some really great traditional family dishes. Her posts are fun, interesting, not too long and I've bookmarked over half of her recipes to try. They're everyday, delicious foods - right up my alley!

Here she is again, combining some of my favorite foods: english muffins, eggs and avocado. Not to mention, giving this sandwich a mexican twist. Oh Susan, I really, really do love you. Not like I love my husband or son, but in another friendly, admiration filled way.

I tried this breakfast egg sandwich this weekend, and it's nothing short of divine. I had to make a couple substitutions, the most critical being the chipotle sauce. I thought I had a chipotle chili in adobo sauce can in my pantry, but hadn't checked for sure. Always a mistake. So for a substitute, I used 1 teaspoon dry taco seasoning mix, and it worked great! I love the smoky chipotle chili flavor though, and intend to re-try this recipe soon using the chili sauce. Also to note though, that chipotle chili in adobo sauce is *quite* spicy. If you are not a fan of heat, or never tried the adobo sauce before, use 1/2 teaspoon to start and taste it before making the sandwich (you can always add more).

Served with a side of sliced pear

My basic fried egg sandwich is like 'old faithful', but this is my new egg sandwich with pizazz. There's a time and a place for both of them in my life.

Thank you, Susan, for sharing with us such delicious recipes!

Breakfast Egg Sandwich with Avocado and Chipotle Mayo
from Food Blogga


1 multi-grain or whole wheat English muffin
3 egg whites (I used 5 egg whites for 2 sandwiches, and it was plenty. Using the yolks is OK too)
a dab of olive or canola oil
about 1 teaspoon soy mayo mixed with 1 teaspoon chipotle adobo sauce (dont use the chilis, just the sauce)
1/4 of an avocado, sprinkled with lime juice (lime juice is optional)
1 ounce cheddar cheese (I used emmentaler)


Toast the English muffin. Mix the soy mayo and chipotle chili and set aside. Slice the avocado and sprinkle with lime juice to prevent it from oxidizing, or turning brown; set aside.

Rub a dab of olive or canola oil over the surface of a small non-stick skillet over medium heat Add egg whites and cook 2 minutes, or until slightly puffed; fold in half and cook 1 minute, or until lightly browned; flip, add the cheddar cheese, and cook 1 minute more (or until your preferred doneness).

Spread the chipotle mayo on the toasted English muffins. Add the eggs with melted cheese and avocado slices.

Plenty more egg sandwiches to try:
- Jamaican Fried Egg Sandwich, from Asparagus Thin
- Egg, Mayonnaise and Cress Sandwich, from Greedy Gourmet
- Focaccia Egg Sandwich, from Baking Cottage
- Open-face Balsamic Egg Sandwich, from Yum Sugar

Guten appetit!

No comments: