Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oatmeal Apple Pancakes - Taste & Create

If you are a food blogger, or food blog reader, you've probably seen various food groups/monthly events around. There are the Daring Bakers, Tuesday with Dorie, No Croutons Required, Presto Pasta Nights, the Cake Slice Bakers, and many more.

I finally decided to jump in, and joined Taste & Create for December/January.

I was really excited to be paired with Hanne at Supper in Stereo. Her blog is beautiful - well laid out, fun posts, great pictures and very organized. And the recipes? Delicious! I had a hard time choosing just one. Some of my favorites that I contemplated: Rosemary Walnut Butter Cookies, Ciabatta bread, her Daring Bakers Party Cake, and the Pumpkin Pecan Madeleines.

In the end, I went with my breakfast craving (I can't tell if this is a pregnancy craving or not, since I simply love pancakes!) and made Oatmeal Apple Pancakes.

I read through the reviews and a couple other apple pancake recipes, to make sure I'd cook them to perfection. First tip I followed was to cook them on low heat. It may take a few extra minutes, but probably due to the oatmeal, you really need the extra time to cook them through. Second, I made the oatmeal thick. The two probably go hand in hand. If you try to cook too quickly or make runny oatmeal, you are bound to end up with a pancake that is mushy. These are not fluffy, but instead are delicious and filling, and a fun twist to your mom's buttermilk pancake!

And look at the reward:


Yum! Yum! Pile on the butter and syrup, please. I'm ready to feast!

Thanks for the great recipe Hanne. This will be a fun one to break out when bisquick (gasp!) just wont cut it!

Oatmeal Apple Pancakes
from Supper in Stereo

1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal (I use instant oatmeal, but this would be great with rolled oats)
1/2 cup milk
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
unsalted butter


Preheat a skillet on medium heat.

Mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Add wet ingredients and mix gently.

Melt a pat of butter onto the skillet and pour batter in 1/4-1/2 cup servings onto skillet.

Allow to cook until bubbles show on one side (I waited until bubbles showed and when they popped, stayed open. I also waited for the edges of the pancake to start looking dry), then flip and cook on the other side until both sides are golden. Serve warm.

More for the pancake lovers:
- Fluffy Ricotta Pancakes, from Apartment Therapy
- Eggnog Pancakes, from Erin Cooks
- IHOP Copycat Pumpkin Pancakes, from Dine & Dish
- Banana Pancakes, from Food 4 Tots

Guten appetit!

No comments: