Thursday, April 24, 2008

Moroccan Couscous



I'm lacking words for this post... what more can I say, than "It's easy and delicious, you should try it!"? Tim really liked this one, and immediately requested I make it again soon. We also had friends over, and they both had seconds. That's always a good sign. My opinion was that it was very tasty, but more of a 4 spoons (not quite 5). It didn't wow me, but it was definitely good. This makes me sound like I have reservations about this recipe, and I don't, I swear! I thought it was really good, just not great. Drat it, this review is not turning out as I wanted. I didn't sleep well last night.

Let's try again:
It's easy.
It's delicious.
You should try it!

Very solid weeknight meal, considering the speed of preparation. You chop, you saute, you're done! And it's incredibly healthy (low in calories and fat) with nothing but veggies and chickpeas, and couscous for the carb/starch.

Must. Stop. Typing. Now. I am doing nothing but babbling today... Recipe, time!!

Found this one on Healthy Recipes for Healthy Living.

Moroccan Style Spicy Couscous

1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (I would use a little more broth next time - 2 1/2 cups, as the sauce was very yummy)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger root
2 cloves minced garlic
2 fresh, sliced mushrooms (I didn't use this, as 2 mushrooms seemed pointless)
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
1 (19 0z) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup raisins (I didn't use these, as I don't like raisins)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (I used almonds, as that's what I had on hand. Turned out great)
1 cup whole wheat couscous

In a large saucepan, mix broth, cumin, coriander, hot chili pepper flakes, ginger root and garlic; bring mixture to a boil. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion and cook over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the couscous in a medium bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over it; cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Add red peppers, chick peas and raisins to mushroom mix; cook 2 to 3 minutes until hot. Taste and add 1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper, if necessary. Stir in parsley.

Fluff couscous into individual serving dishes. Place vegetable mixture around the couscous and top with broth evenly distributed. (I made little couscous mounds on the plate, and then put the mix right on top with lots of sauce)

Garnish with pine nuts.


The recipe says it serves 4, but I thought this would serve 6 if you are also offering salad, or other side dishes.

Guten Appetit!

No comments: