Friday, April 10, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip

This recipe was first made for me by a friend, Erica. She was pregnant and had been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. For a girls lunch, we were all to bring a dish, and Erica brought this Artichoke and Spinach Dip, with veggies to use for dipping. She needed to stay away from carbs, and I thought it was a brilliant choice. Not to mention very tasty! Everyone at the lunch complimented her on it and wanted the recipe, including me.

Best part of this recipe, it's ridiculously easy. Will take you approximately 5 minutes to make, or less. There was so little for me to do and prepare when I made it a couple months later for my sister's housewarming party, that I can't even put together a 4-square picture collage. I suppose I could have taken a picture of someone eating the dish, but isn't it cruel and unusual punishment to publicly post pictures of others eating? I think so.


Once you hear the source of this recipe, you might not believe me that it has a creamy, delicious flavor and the perfect mix of flavors. It's from Atkins. Yes, I know! I hear anything 'diet' related, and cringe. But I promise you, it's delicious. It was fully consumed at my sister's housewarming, just as it had been at our girls lunch. A definite crowd pleaser, and I promise, no-one will know it's from a diet source.

Spinach Artichoke Dip
from Atkins

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1(13 3/4-ounce) can artichoke bottoms, drained
2 garlic cloves
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix, mix, mix

Ready to bake

Heat oven to 350F. Grease a 1-quart ovenproof pan. In a food processor, process spinach, artichokes, garlic, cream cheese, Parmesan and pepper until well combined, scraping down sides of processor, as needed.Spread mixture in prepared pan. Bake until warmed through, about 30 minutes. Serve hot with sliced vegetables.

Dips to love:
- Hummus
- Fresh Salsa
- Tom Douglas's Crab Dip, from Al Dente
- Hot Sweet Onion Dip, from Closet Cooking

Guten appetit!

No comments: