Friday, September 12, 2008

Chickpeas with Spinach

I give up. I'm so ready for fall! All I can think of are soups, breads, casseroles, and pies. Comfort food.

The only thing I've done this week that's half-way complimentary to the 'end of summer' vegetable bounty, is to make a tomato salad (1 pint cherry/grape/cocktail tomatoes cut in half and tossed with dressing: 4 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, dash of salt & pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano). But I made it to go with this delicious Chickpea with Spinach dish, which... not so summery.


However, the Chickpea with Spinach recipe hit the spot. It makes just enough for 2 dinners, and a little leftover for lunch the next day. I was so excited about my chickpea lunch, I couldn't wait for noon. At 11:41am (yes, exactly 11:41), I decided I'd waited long enough and reheated my leftovers. Mm, mm good! Even Tim, who doesn't usually like spinach (so he says), finished his plate with a smile and said it was worthy.

Without further ado...

Chickpeas with Spinach
adapted slightly from CookingLight

1 teaspoon olive oil
1-1 1/2 cups chopped onion (I tend to go light on onion and only used about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4-5 cups chopped spinach
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup hot cooked basmati rice (I used plain white rice, use what you have on hand)
Lemon wedges (optional)


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes or until mixture begins to brown.

Add water and tomato paste; cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly.

Stir in spinach, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and chickpeas; cover. Reduce heat and cook 5 minutes or until spinach wilts and mixture is heated. Stir in lemon juice (don't skip this step, I felt like the lemon juice brought out some great flavor).

Serve over rice (Naan would also be great with this recipe!). Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.

Guten appetit!

No comments: