Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day

I am a lucky girl. With everything going on lately, I just didn't get my act together for valentines day. I don't hold one particular day too dear over others, so I also didn't feel a lot of motivation to make something happen.

I did have a lot of great ideas though (that counts, right?), and had planned to make these delicious looking cupcakes from another food blog (assuming I could find the cocoa and other ingredients here in Deutschland).

But, back to why I'm a lucky girl... Tim made dinner plans for us! It's cute, it's the thought and it was totally unexpected after he has been wrecked with the flu this past week. How could he think through his headaches and fever to Valentines and making a dinner reservation?! When counting the little things in life, this totally rang all my bells... I'm a lucky girl because I'm so in love with my husband, and he loves me back.

Unfortunately for the food blog, I haven't cooked anything I'd like to post for a romantic dinner, so I'm going to leave you with a dessert recipe my friend Sonya made for me a couple years back and I've always wanted to try... yes, it was so fudgy, chocolaty good that I still remember it years later. She also swears to me that the recipe is very simple and quick to make, so if you still don't have that zing planned for your Valentines day dinner, this may be your ticket!

Chocolate Truffle Cakes (from martha stewart)

Makes 6 individual cakes
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 40 minutes

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for muffin tin
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
14 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a standard 6-cup muffin tin. Dust with flour, tapping out excess; set aside.

2. Put chocolate, butter, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; whisk occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat, and let stand until cool and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

3. Process eggs and remaining tablespoon sugar in a food processor until pale and doubled in volume, about 2 minutes. Sift flour and salt into egg mixture; pulse to combine. Add chocolate mixture 1/4 cup at a time; pulse each addition until combined, about 10 times. (Batter will be thick.)

4. Spoon mixture into the prepared muffin tin, filling cups three-quarters full; swirl tops with back of spoon. Bake until tops are springy to the touch, 18 to 20 minutes. Immediately turn out onto wire racks; reinvert, and let cool.


Serve with strawberries and a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or go with a simple scoop of strawberry ice cream.

Happy Valentines Day to all.

No comments: