Friday, June 27, 2008

Leftover Tortillas

We exclusively eat soft, corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are available, I just love the corn. Makes me wonder if Tim would prefer flour - I've never asked! Hey, if I do the shopping, I should get to choose, right? Right.


We almost always have left over tortillas, since they are sold in a large pack. I either freeze them, or I make chips. It seems silly and too easy to post a 'how-to make your own chips', but hey, why not?

To make your own tortilla chips:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut round tortillas into wedges (slice in half, and repeat a couple more times). Place on an ungreased baking sheet (or pie plate- it's all I have), do not overlap the tortillas triangles. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tortillas are firm and crispy. They will not be AS crispy as store-bought, but they will taste more delicious. Salt if necessary/desired (jamie).

Serve with chipotle salsa, or guacamole.

On a total side-note, rant:

I buy our delicious, homemade corn tortillas from the only Mexican store in Munich: Mercado de Mexico. When we moved to Germany, I knew the food would be different. But what a lot of people don't think about is the grocery food also being VERY different, or simply not available. Living in a foreign country always makes me appreciate the diversity and availability of food in the US. Mexican food in particular, hasn't made it much further than the Atlantic.

I remember students of mine in Japan, who when traveling to LA for business, would stay in a Japanese run hotel, and only go out to eat at Japanese restaurants. I wanted to yell, 'branch out!'. But diversity is the minority, not the majority in the world. People who grow up in a homogenous culture seem to be steadfast and loyal to what they know. As I said, I think we are very lucky in US.

No comments: