I believe your body will tell you which nutrients you are missing in your diet, causing cravings. As a vegetarian, you have to be more conscious of where to get the necessary vitamins and minerals needed in order to fulfill those cravings in a healthy way.
In very loose support of my theory, a friend told me a couple days ago about a new study that linked artificial sweeteners with weight gain. Apparently, by focusing your diet primarily on 0 calorie foods/drinks with artificial sweeteners (being a diet coke-aholic, I was all ears to these new findings), you are depraving your body of the natural level of sugar it's looking for, and therefore you end up craving and seeking sugar in other areas of your diet. In the end, you could gain more weight by trying to avoid a few sugar calories vs. allowing yourself a moderated amount of natural sugar. Whether it's true or not (based on extreme situations, or how close you believe we are related to rats), I know I get certain food cravings due to my vegetarian diet choice. Not so much sugar, as I use 3 cubes in my tea each morning! (and I have 2 cups of tea) But that's my scientific story, and I'm sticking to it.
Enough chatter! Where's the recipe??
In honor of my recent egg/protein craving, I made a super easy and delicious quiche. If the ease and tastiness guarantee aren't enough incentive for you to grab some eggs and start cutting up broccoli, here are a couple other reasons:
* Nixing the crust certainly helps with prep, but also with the calories.
Crustless Broccoli & Cheese Quiche (modified slightly from cookinglight)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 1 1/2 minutes. Add broccoli; saute 1 minute (be careful not to overcook, just saute). Spread broccoli mixture into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine milk and next 8 ingredients (milk through eggs) in a large bowl. Pour milk mixture over broccoli mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan.
4. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until top is golden and a knife inserted in center comes out clean; let stand 5 minutes.
5. Serve with toast or a side salad.
In addition to an easy weeknight meal, this quiche would be a nice brunch or potluck dish.
This hausfrau loves a good quiche! Guten appetit.